Our prayer focus this week: Hearing and Doing
As we continue to pray for CLC, asking God to help us fully reclaim our passion for following Jesus, we focus on how simply hearing Jesus’ call to us is only part of the life of a disciple. To hear without doing something about it is to not have heard at all. The disciples heard Jesus’ call to follow him, and then left their nets and went. If they had heard his call to follow, but then said that what they were doing kept them too busy to actually leave and follow him, could you say they had even heard Jesus?
God's promises on which you can rely, as you pray throughout the week:
- Hearing and doing - James 1:22-27
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it-not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it-they will be blessed in what they do. Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
- Love Jesus and give an answer - 1 Peter 3:15
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect
- Pay attention or drift away - Hebrews 2:1
We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.
- Saying "Lord, Lord" - Matthew 7:21
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven,but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
- Building with no foundation - Luke 6:49
But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."
- Yes or no - Matthew 21:28-31
"What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work today in the vineyard.' "'I will not,' he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. "Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, 'I will, sir,' but he did not go. "Which of the two did what his father wanted?" "The first," they answered. Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.
- Loving and obeying - John 14:24
Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
This week, focus your prayer on:
- Reflect on the relationship between hearing and doing. Pray that God would more fully make you both a hearer AND a doer.
- Pray for CLC members of whom you are aware who may be in the process of drifting away. Ask God to restore their first love for Jesus and instill in them a deeper desire to be more fully apart of their faith family. As a doer of the word, make contact with that person this week.
- What does Jesus (in John) say is the relationship between love and obedience? Pray that God would work in CLC that we might be obedient to walk his path.
- Ask God to help us as a congregation to make prayer our foundation for ministry.
Each day, end your personal prayer time with this prayer we will all pray together throughout the week:
Breathe on me, breath of God;
Fill me with life anew,
That I m ay love all that you love
And do what you would do.
Amen (Hymn 488 – Breathe on Me, Breath of God)